14.2.10

Clouded Reasoning

One of the main reasons I started this blog (especially when there are six/seven links to your left of really inspirational authors) is to describe my journey of dealing with minimalism. I started with areas that weren't really personal - like my bathroom - which only contained items bought because of the smell or something like that but with no inherent value.

Tim and I have been doing well with this little adventure over the past four or five days (yes, we minimalized our bathroom, kitchen, walk-in and entrance in this time period. I should note, I've been a bit better about this than him.) but now it's time for me to hit the living room or the bedroom (especially my desk) and I'm hitting a block .

I'm a bit overwhelmed. I think "let me go through just the dresser - not even touch the clothes on the floor," or "I'll just do one drawer of the desk" and I can't muster up the energy. I'm a bit upset at the thought of throwing away things of mine that I have had since I was a kid but I have never touched or used. One such item is my Sailor Moon pencil case I've had since I was 14 but never used because I thought it would get banged up in a bookbag. I still have no use for it, but it is hard to think I'll never see it again and that the comfort I get from seeing it and acknowledging my past will be gone for good.

It's a bit heartbreaking really, and I think I need just a few more days to deal with this notion before I really come to terms with giving it up. And not just the pencil case - but things that I pretend have meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment